Feedback on "Scrubadubdub" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Scrubadubdub"

By ScreenName098 GOLD, New York City, New York
ScreenName098 GOLD, New York City, New York

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss

The poem, "Scrubadubdub," by Eleanor Hurton is a wonderfully written piece that portrays the true struggle in the battle with OCD. Using its captivating words, the poem invites readers into the mind of someone suffering from the "curse." It shows the illness creating a safe barrier against harmful things while gradually suffocating her from within. The narrator wishes to revive her joy by conquering OCD and attaining liberation from her chains.
          I never realized how challenging it is to cope with OCD so this poem has definitely widened my perspective on the topic. The piece has allowed me to recognize the utter despair one experiences when possessing OCD. Although the narrator wholeheartedly understands that her constant worries are mere illusions, she gets a sense of comfort from her compulsive nature. For example, Eleanor emphasizes that "it was also my protection/my safety net/against the terror of losing/the ones that I love." Her disorder has become a fortification that supposedly shelters her from harm. However, she soon comes to the realization that she "is not really living/just surviving" and makes the powerful decision to resist the overwhelming OCD. Successfully capturing the audience's attention, Hurton has established a feeling of hopefulness that goes past the limits of OCD.