Feddback on "Fighting My Demon" | Teen Ink

Feddback on "Fighting My Demon"

March 4, 2015
By partulla-magenta SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
partulla-magenta SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Nah."


     "Fighting My Demons" by "Rebecca" shows the truth about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The article is about the narrator describing her constant nervousness and worries. This scales from speaking in front of class to panic attacks and fainting. It soon escalates into having obsessive thoughts about death and loss, which puts the narrator into a worse situation than before. When they discovered they had OCD, they were able to get proper therapy to ease their extreme anxiety. This helps them plenty, and now they can live a normal life with less stress and worry about constant unwanted thoughts.
     This article touched me in a way most wouldn't be able to do. Many people have misconstrued the meaning of OCD over time because of the inaccurate representation of it in media, including shows and movies. The serious condition is treated as a quirk, and it's mostly to keep things neat and in order at all times. OCD isn't just that, and it can make a person go through pain to do it, to the point they can't even properly function in real life. This article unveils the truth, and it shows this through the narrator discovering that the disease on television shows aren't always accurate, and knowing this helped them recover from it.
     "It was the worst feeling of being held down, unable to breathe." Overall I seriously enjoyed reading this article, and I want others to read it too. It shows that there are many misconceptions about OCD that should be discussed, and I hope that others will stop thinking it as an unserious condition that is also a personality trait. It isn't, and this story can show how life threatening and painful it is, to have constant thoughts and having to be forced to comply with them, especially if that fear is of death or loss. Perhaps all of us can relate some way or another with this article.