Feedback on "16 and Definitely Not Pregnant" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "16 and Definitely Not Pregnant"

By ariel___ GOLD, New York, New York
ariel___ GOLD, New York, New York

"Who knows what the right thing to do is when society is so contradictory - when parents want you to be that goody-two-shoes with Ivy League potential, but every teenager in the world seems to be coaxing you to breaking your good-girl habits," writes Gabriela Rodriguez, Bryn Mawr, PA, in her memoir, "16 and Definitely Not Pregnant." Her inspiring piece tells readers about her experience after a tournament party where her teen thoughts and actions were tested. Gabriela describes a popular game that was played by her and her friends in their room, and what she thought of the people's actions that were with her. She tells about how she felt left out when she was the only one who didn't experience the same things as her friends.
         I was hooked from just reading the first line, "I watched him rise from his seat on the bus, which was teeming with sweaty, drunk student athletes." Already from this description, I wanted to know who "he" was and what situation the author was in. From that line, the reader can see that the memoir relates to a teenager who has encountered something that is unusual or interesting to them. As Gabriela told her story, I understood her point of view more, and more. Many ideas that she brings up can be related to by majority of teenagers, making her piece an interesting read. She gave clear descriptions throughout her writing, such as, "My uptight, all-girls education," and "...almost as intoxicated [as] the Vineyard Vines boy." These lines give the reader a clear image of what the author is seeing, putting them in the scene with her. I love the details that Gabriela includes, right from the beginning, and she stays consistent to the end. Overall, "16 and Definitely Not Pregnant" is very well written, and is capable of relating to many teenagers all over the world.

Jane3 SILVER said...
Jane3 SILVER, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania

“The capital-T truth is about life BEFORE death. It is about the real value of a real education, which has almost nothing to do with knowledge, and everything to do with simple awareness; awareness of what is so real and essential, so hidden in plain sight all around us, all the time, that we have to keep reminding ourselves over and over: this is water. This is water.”

Wow. Thank you so much for writing such wonderful things :) I didn't even think people would read my work, let alone write about it. Thank you very much.