Feedback on "16 and Definitely Not Pregnant" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "16 and Definitely Not Pregnant"

March 3, 2015
By ariel___ GOLD, New York, New York
ariel___ GOLD, New York, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

      "Who knows what the right thing to do is when society is so contradictory - when parents want you to be that goody-two-shoes with Ivy League potential, but every teenager in the world seems to be coaxing you to breaking your good-girl habits," writes Gabriela Rodriguez, Bryn Mawr, PA, in her memoir, "16 and Definitely Not Pregnant." Her inspiring piece tells readers about her experience after a tournament party where her teen thoughts and actions were tested. Gabriela describes a popular game that was played by her and her friends in their room, and what she thought of the people's actions that were with her. She tells about how she felt left out when she was the only one who didn't experience the same things as her friends.
         I was hooked from just reading the first line, "I watched him rise from his seat on the bus, which was teeming with sweaty, drunk student athletes." Already from this description, I wanted to know who "he" was and what situation the author was in. From that line, the reader can see that the memoir relates to a teenager who has encountered something that is unusual or interesting to them. As Gabriela told her story, I understood her point of view more, and more. Many ideas that she brings up can be related to by majority of teenagers, making her piece an interesting read. She gave clear descriptions throughout her writing, such as, "My uptight, all-girls education," and "...almost as intoxicated [as] the Vineyard Vines boy." These lines give the reader a clear image of what the author is seeing, putting them in the scene with her. I love the details that Gabriela includes, right from the beginning, and she stays consistent to the end. Overall, "16 and Definitely Not Pregnant" is very well written, and is capable of relating to many teenagers all over the world.