Nothing Like Ellen | Teen Ink

Nothing Like Ellen

December 8, 2014
By KaitlynB SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
KaitlynB SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“Ellen” by Eve S. is a very relatable instance.  I know by personal experience that when there is a more popular or talented older sibling that the younger siblings tend to want to be more like them.  I grew up with that same problem when Lysa went off to college.  I felt so sad to see her go, but I felt as though if she stayed I would have been compelled to be more liker her or try to live up to the standards she had.  She was pretty, smart, talented, and above all like my big sister.  Even though she wasn’t related, she was the closest thing I had to an older sister, it was a big name to fill.  When she came back from college this last summer she told me that she wasn’t as big as I thought.  I am five years younger than she, and she told me that it wasn’t popularity or talent.  She told me, “I had to work to be where I was.  At the end of the day we’re all still the same people and we are all capable of doing great things.  Including you!”  That’s when I realized I don’t have to be like everyone else, I can be me and do great things with my own talents and abilities.  I’m so glad Eve shared her story, and it was very relatable to many people. I’m sure.