How To Get Lucky (Professionally) | Teen Ink

How To Get Lucky (Professionally) MAG

October 8, 2014
By JustTheGirlnextDoor SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
JustTheGirlnextDoor SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The poem “How To Get Lucky (Professionally)” by Grace C. spoke to me in a way that no other piece in the magazine did. It is a beautiful poem – honest and truthful. “How To Get Lucky (Professionally)” speaks of a girl who knows a truth that so many are blind to. She understands the power of language, of words, of dreams. She understands that though she may be only a 17-year-old with ink on her arms, she is not worthless. Her passion, her voice, should not – will not – go to waste because of the opinions society has imposed upon her. She must fight for her dreams – and she has showed me that I must fight for mine.

To me, this poem is so much more than just a pretty collection of words. It is a slap in the face, a dose of harsh reality. It changed my life. “How To Get Lucky (Professionally)” showed me that poetry, my way of expressing myself to the world, of giving back, isn't about luck. It's much more than that. Grace writes that poetry is about “opening your lungs and inviting the world into your every breath.” She goes on to say, “It's about breaking down your walls in front of a crowd full of strangers, and giving them the rubble and the dust that's left and challenging them to create something new.”

I have always thought that poetry was useless, but this poem taught me I was stupid to think that. And for that, Grace C., I thank you.