The Thing About Jenny | Teen Ink

The Thing About Jenny

By MonicaJanvier PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
MonicaJanvier PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"The Thing About Jenny" by Gabrielle G is a beautifully written memoir about Gabrielle's roommate during Summer camp. Not only was the title compelling, but the personality of Jenny that Gabrielle was able to portray left me with mixed emotions.

This piece feels very relatable to teens and especially me. Jenny is a friend who she only talks to when they're in their room because they have their own friends throughout the Summer camp. However, Gabrielle remembers every conversation and every time they interacted in their room, including when they first met. A particular event is when Jenny fainted in their bathroom.
Gabrielle was able to capture Jenny's unique personality in such a beautiful way that it left me without words. Jenny "laughs when she's serious but also when she's not. Jenny means half of what she says, and the other half are lies wrapped in neat paper." This piece reminded me of how amazing it is to meet a unique, mysterious person who has a dynamic personality. Each individual is full of many surprises and it only takes time to uncover them.