Dropping the Ball | Teen Ink

Dropping the Ball

April 30, 2014
By matthew.fine8 GOLD, Staten Island, New York
matthew.fine8 GOLD, Staten Island, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

While reading April’s issue of Teen Ink, I found some issues that I was surprised about. Typos? In Teen Ink? Apparently so. I understand it’s the author’s job to edit the mistakes in their piece, but Teen Ink is a nationwide magazine read by millions of teens, with professional editors like a “normal” magazine or newspaper. What’s your excuse? It’s probably my tendency to nitpick pieces of writing (especially their mechanics) that noticed this. However, it never stood out to me before. I’ve been published three times, and I read every issue front to back, so I respect this magazine. I don’t mean to sound harsh, but Teen Ink, you’re slacking.

In the “Points of View” essay, “My Privacy is Alive and Well,” Twitter and Tumblr are lowercase in the beginning, but capitalized at the end. In the “Parents” piece, “You and Me and the Silver Screen,” it says, “I never though how unconventional this was…” which I assume was supposed to be “I never thought.” I have the qualities of an editor, and naturally notice errors, but this is frankly inexcusable. Teen Ink, you’re dropping the ball.