The Pink War | Teen Ink

The Pink War MAG

By Katherine Furman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Katherine Furman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“The Pink War” by Kayla C. is a well-written and touching piece that reflects on an experience that I understand can be very hard to write about. In her piece, Kayla shares how her mother fought breast cancer and had to endure many treatments. While her mother was going through this, the author realized how hard it was for her mother and she appreciated her mother more than ever. At the end Kayla states, “Never before have I ever been so thankful for my mother and so grateful that she is here with me.”

I can relate to Kayla's experience and emotions because my mother recently experienced the same thing. I know how difficult it is to see someone so close to you endure the long procedures of breast cancer treatment with all their side effects. I was also shocked and very worried when my mother explained to me what was happening. The word “cancer” itself seemed like the scariest nightmare. Knowing that my mother, the closest person to me, had to deal with this made me break down into tears right in the middle of the street that first day.

Just like Kayla, I really appreciate my mother and am so proud that she remained strong through a difficult time. I want to thank Kayla for writing this piece because it reminded me that there are others who have loved ones who have gone through or are going through these experiences. I know just how they feel.