Unwrapping a Present | Teen Ink

Unwrapping a Present

By Gabi Newman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Gabi Newman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

In "Unwrapping a Present", by Aurora Phillips, the author talks about her experience dissecting the uterus of a pregnant female rat, and the wonder it instilled in her. Though it might sound gross, the author, like many others interested in biology, found it to be a miraculous experience. She even goes as far as to describe it as "like unwrapping a present," though this might also seem strange. I agree, and think that the fact that the rat and her children died so the author could learn is like a gift, in a way.

As someone highly interested in the sciences, and hoping to go into medicine when she's older, I can relate to the feelings of the author. I don't think it's strange at all for her to be fascinated by something as unconventional as rat fetuses, and likely would've acted in the same manner had I been in her place. Still, I think it's wonderful that she's so passionate about learning and discovering, and sincerely wish her the best of luck in whatever she chooses to do in life.

on May. 11 2014 at 9:21 pm
Aurora Phillips BRONZE, Brattleboro, Vermont
Thanks so much, Gabi. It's nice to read that someone else understood what I was going for in my essay. I wish you the best of luck in the future too. You sound like you would make a great doctor!