So What If We Can't Vote? | Teen Ink

So What If We Can't Vote? MAG

By Vincent Jiang SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Vincent Jiang SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Through the passionate article “So
What If We Can't Vote?” author Claire ­I. ­explained a growing problem in our nation. Both voters and underage citizens, especially teenagers, are growing increasingly ignorant about political matters. In ­today's society, most teenagers don't care about who is elected, believing that it ­doesn't affect them. However, the author states that many political issues impact young people, such as the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. Claire did a wonderful job shining light on this predicament by using specific examples and clear reasoning.
I agree with Claire that young people are unappreciative of our voting rights. They ­ignore or even scorn voting, such as the girl on Facebook mentioned in the article. Furthermore, many Americans are ignorant of political subjects, such as the names of important government figures.
For the future of this country, this issue is crucial. Claire suggests that teenagers be educated and informed about political topics and elections of governors, presidents, senators, and other leaders. Teenagers could also engage in activities that are similar to the government of the United States, to foster a greater interest in politics.
“So What If We Can't Vote?” is a magnificent article about the ignorance of U.S. ­citizens. Hopefully this important piece
will inspire young people to become more informed and involved.