No Excuse | Teen Ink

No Excuse

By MonicaJanvier PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
MonicaJanvier PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

In her article, "No Excuse, "Anna" explains her point of view on people justifying rape, instead of supporting the victim. Recently, "Anna"'s 14 year old sister was raped by another student. After revealing this event, her attacker's mother gave excuses for her son's actions such as, " .. he had been going through tough times." People even questioned what she was wearing. "Anna" feels that the pressure is being put on victims because some people don't understand that "rape is never, ever ok."

I completely agree with "Anna" and I enjoyed reading this article because I've also noticed how people mostly give excuses for the rapist as they sympathize with them. It shouldn't matter what a girl was wearing or if she was intoxicated. If a person is involved in sexual intercourse without their consent, this is considered to be rape. Instead of the pressure being put on the victim, it should be put on the attacker for not being aware of their own actions.

Thank you, "Anna," for sharing your point of view on sympathizing with rapists. This is an issue that people of today's society should be aware of.