Feedback - "A Love Affair with Orange Juice" | Teen Ink

Feedback - "A Love Affair with Orange Juice"

By matthew.fine8 GOLD, Staten Island, New York
matthew.fine8 GOLD, Staten Island, New York

Victor Morrison’s “A Love Affair with Orange Juice” was relatable and a whimsical play on a mushy love poem. He did a great job of using sensory details, expressing his love for the healthy beverage, like a love-struck teenager would do in a confessional poem. I found myself chuckling as I read the last few lines: “I scream, I shout, I cry, I am ready to die. Oh, what wouldn’t I do, to get myself some more of you”.

Personally, I wouldn’t have included the phrase “with orange juice” in the title, but instead only vaguely alluded to it throughout the majority in the poem, and then revealed it at the end. As an avid reader, I love having shocking epiphanies.

But after finishing the poem, thinking to myself, What in the world did I just read? and reading it a few more times, I had a realization of my own: there’s actually a deeper meaning. The orange juice can represent anything – any small, usually considered insignificant thing.

His wording was very delicate, and I felt that others could relate to this topic. Like Victor, I also have a strange love – my love for cheese. Cheese to me is like his orange juice. I dream of the sharp, creamy cheese melting in my mouth.

Most people take these small things for granted, but others marvel at it. It is extremely important to love the tiny things in life. This I learned from a humorous poem about a teenager’s partially romanticized adoration for fruit juice.