Simple Things | Teen Ink

Simple Things

January 14, 2014
By Vincent Jiang SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Vincent Jiang SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Simple Things” by Eric Matthews was a thoughtful, meaningful article that expressed the author’s opinion on the world. Eric disliked the way society is now structured when compared to the past. He believed that humanity had become more informal and less expressive. For example, he compared Elvis Presley, who is considered the king of rock and roll, to Jay-Z, a rapper. Although both are magnificent artists, Elvis produced more mellow and calm songs. Eric also compared the past where teenagers spoke constantly on the phone, as opposed to the present where teens texted. The author believed more emotions were transmitted over the phone than through brief texts. I also believe smaller things will lead to a better society.

I enjoy the simpler things in life, like Eric Matthews. I believe that they are the best ways to enjoy and appreciate life. More sensitive, deeper bonds would be formed if life was similar to the past. People would be able to understand each other when they discover that they have similar ideas that are held from being shown in today’s society. For example, in the present time, people are withdrawn from each other, sharing only vague ideas and opinions on subjects, such as only saying something was good or bad. In the past, friends were able to discuss reasoning behind their ideas and views of certain topics, such as literature.

Other aspects in life would also be improved if we return to the simpler things in life. For example, although 3D movies are entertaining to watch, they destroy imagination, a necessity in the world. Another example would be the slang in this generation. Reducing these terms may lead to a closer interaction between two people.

Eric Matthews appreciates the smaller, more meaningful things in life. I hope that the world would eventually change and soften to the beauty of things forgotten and left in the past.