Cetaphobia: Fear of Whales This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Natalie Cackler’s article on cetaphobia addresses her fear of whales and how others don’t understand it. Just to be clear, I totally understand and relate to her fear. In fact, I have a relatively odd fear myself – caterpillars. This fear is so odd that it doesn’t even have a name. Just the thought of those thick, wriggling insects (not to mention their 12 eyes!) makes me want to curl up in a corner and cry. Seeing a picture is even worse. I have no idea why I have this fear – I just do. I can handle other insects; it’s only the horrendous caterpillar that frightens me. Most of my friends and family don’t understand my fear. Just like Natalie’s friends, mine think that my reaction to the caterpillar is the most hilarious thing ever.

My fear can probably even be considered weirder than cetaphobia. At least the fear of whales could be explainable.