"Choosing to be an American" This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Terri Tang's article “Choosing to Be an American” superbly portrays the vision of American freedom, pride, and patriotism that lives in the hearts of many immigrants who choose to venture to the United States.

I appreciate Terri's depiction of the unfortunate dark side to this vision of America, in writing “we were ‘aliens'” and “I am but one of the many ‘Made in China' products.” Her passionate description of her yearning to become an American citizen and prove that she is “American at heart” are very touching and remind me deeply of my own status as an immigrant.

Though my experiences have not been nearly as dramatic, I can relate to Terri's struggle to define herself as an American and not suffer as an alienated spectacle in this society because of her foreign origin.

Thanks, Terri, for sharing your story. I hope this view of the immigration situation in the United States will inspire readers to be more open-minded toward immigrants. As she points out, many immigrants come here with a passion for American freedom surpassing even that of Americans. So who are Americans to deny them their freedom?