Ending Voter Apathy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I strongly agree with “Ending Voter Apathy” by Erica G. It exposes the basic problem with the American political system: apathy. The statistics she cited are embarrassing: “The U.S. maintains a measly 48.3 percent [voter] turnout rate over the past 60 years.”

She did an excellent job laying out the problem. However, I feel that the consequences are even more serious than she suggests. As a result of the lack of concern by Americans, the political parties can sway elections merely through clever advertising. Since there are so few voters, a campaign can succeed by not dealing with the issues. Ads focus on the hot – and often less important – issues. This works because big blocks of voters sometimes come from activists who are very passionate about a fringe issue. The end result is that a candidate can be elected without having to deal with the larger issues.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

March said...
Mar. 4, 2010 at 6:12 pm:
I stumbled upon this article while researching "Voter Apathy" and having spent days reading on this issue, this article floored me. Why? I'm presuming that it was written by either a teen or someone fairly young by my perspective and it couldn't have more succinctly addressed the consequences of "voter apathy." By the way, I'm 52.
"the consequences are even more serious than she suggests. As a result of the lack of concern by Americans, the political... (more »)