Don’t Text

First off, I just want to say how great it is to have a literary magazine that gives teen writers and artists, like me, the ability to showcase their work to the world. Also, I whole heartedly agree with Chris Jackson’s “Don’t Text”.

It’s common knowledge that people shouldn’t be using cell phones while driving. Unfortunately, a considerable number of Americans do so anyway. Not only texting, but making or answering a call while driving, is an unnecessary risk that a significant amount of drivers take. One solution I can think of is encouraging the use of a Bluetooth headset. Although talking via Bluetooth still indisputably distracts the driver, it is substantially less dangerous than using a physical phone in that the driver can keep both his/her hands on the wheel during their conversation. While there are laws against using phones while driving in some states, like New York, they are, for the most part, neither enforced nor followed. Therefore, I partially agree with Sprint Nextel about education being more influential than restricting phones. There truly is no decent excuse for using a phone while driving, no good reason for putting oneself and others at risk. As noted by Chris, texting “could end up costing you a lot more than the standard 15 cents.”