Gun Control | Teen Ink

Gun Control MAG

May 20, 2013
By LawrenceK SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
LawrenceK SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
8 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Heroes are ordinary people who make themselves extraordinary.”


After yet another period of continued scrutiny regarding gun control laws, Jacob Bergfeld does not secure his point sufficiently in his article “Aren't Guns a Right?” Discussing how the president is only doing his job to protect the innocent, Jacob also writes about how “good citizens have to suffer” because of the new policies. Although he does bring up legitimate reasons why the law should be reconsidered, there are many holes in his arguments.

Jacob states that the policy limiting ammunition magazine capacity to ten rounds is unfair to those who are “capable of responsibly handling a firearm.”As a teenager from the city, I have no experience hunting, but I wonder what kind of hunter needs more than ten rounds of ammunition per clip. I can't imagine why this limit is so controversial, since no responsible hunter just sprays large amounts of ammunition ­into a forest, hoping for a lucky hit.

Lastly, Jacob states that those who have full citizenship and are screened should not “have to suffer from these possible gun ­restrictions.” He writes that “it is not the gun that kills, but the operator.” One must realize, though, that faulty screening has been the reason for many of the tragic mass shootings across the country.

Part of the major problem we face today is that guns are being sold too easily with insufficient background checks. As a result, we must limit guns as an extra safety precaution. This, in itself, does not hinder any law-abiding citizen, and is only meant to ensure the welfare of a community.