Gun Control This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After yet another period of continued scrutiny regarding gun control laws, Jacob Bergfeld does not secure his point sufficiently in his article “Aren't Guns a Right?” Discussing how the president is only doing his job to protect the innocent, Jacob also writes about how “good citizens have to suffer” because of the new policies. Although he does bring up legitimate reasons why the law should be reconsidered, there are many holes in his arguments.

Jacob states that the policy limiting ammunition magazine capacity to ten rounds is unfair to those who are “capable of responsibly handling a firearm.”As a teenager from the city, I have no experience hunting, but I wonder what kind of hunter needs more than ten rounds of ammunition per clip. I can't imagine why this limit is so controversial, since no responsible hunter just sprays large amounts of ammunition ­into a forest, hoping for a lucky hit.

Lastly, Jacob states that those who have full citizenship and are screened should not “have to suffer from these possible gun ­restrictions.” He writes that “it is not the gun that kills, but the operator.” One must realize, though, that faulty screening has been the reason for many of the tragic mass shootings across the country.

Part of the major problem we face today is that guns are being sold too easily with insufficient background checks. As a result, we must limit guns as an extra safety precaution. This, in itself, does not hinder any law-abiding citizen, and is only meant to ensure the welfare of a community.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Carlos_Danger said...
today at 10:47 am:
This article was good to me because lots of my family are interested in guns and they have them and they are sane people and  because of the insane people there guns have to have limited ammo and one of my uncles weapons was taken because of the newtown event.