You Are a Writer If... | Teen Ink

You Are a Writer If...

March 6, 2013
By MichelleW SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
MichelleW SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Are you a writer?

Well, if you want to find out, Claire’s nonfiction article, “You Are a Writer If…” is the text you need to determine it. This article pinpoints specific actions of a writer and lists them in a format that follows the title phrase. A few of the completing phrases include: “The words ‘I bought a book’ are as commonplace as ‘I brushed my teeth,’” “Your best work is what you leapt out of bed in the middle of the night to write,” and “Walking past a bookstore without going inside is an agonizing test of willpower.” Claire captured the essence of being a writer, discussing how some writers create vivid descriptions using everyday events and write our own endings to unsatisfactory novels.
Sound familiar? Maybe it describes you and your writer-ness.

“You Are a Writer If…” does not talk down to the writing community. It actually glorifies the actions that others may murmur about behind a writer’s back. I am also a writer, and as I perused this article, I found myself relating to some of those statements. Claire wrote this article in a manner that speaks to the writer in a somewhat conversational tone, as if she had gathered up a large group of writers and asked them, “What sort of writerly activities do you take part in?”
In this article, Claire takes into account all of the things that makes a writer so special and sets them apart while also connecting them together. We are not stereotypical, awkward individual who sits in a dark room with a pencil and paper in hand along with thousands of feline friends to keep us company.

No, we are so much more than that.