Directions to Where I Live | Teen Ink

Directions to Where I Live

By Mimi_M. BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Mimi_M. BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion. - Thomas Paine

The epic journey called "Directions to where I live" ,by Kaila M., uses fragmented sentences to successfully capture the attention of those who skim by. The way she tells her story makes me laugh and nod agreeing with a majority of points that she brings up. There are a plethora of emotions that actually went through me as I read, such as happiness, sadness, and occasionally confusion. The highlight of her story that really caught my attention was how she "Learn[ed] from MTV how to 'shake your money-maker' ". That took me to the days of my childhood and I laughed all the way to the end. There were also sentences that I could relate to such as "spend a lot of time with people but still feel like you're by yourself", because that is how I feel on a daily basis. I truly admit that I would not have cherished the story as well if it was written in a formal style; I applaud her for the mastery of this style and how well she did to capture the attention of readers.