To Wear a Hat | Teen Ink

To Wear a Hat

By Giselle Garcia SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Giselle Garcia SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

So the mother of Anita L, author of “To Wear A Hat,” an inspiring article in the November issue, doesn’t particularly agree with the “childish” parts of her daughter's fashion sense. According to her mother, a penguin hat, which usually receives many comments about its cuteness, simply isn’t dignified enough for someone with as many responsibilities as her, such as serving as the debate president and an orchestra council member. She even hesitates to put it on in public while remembering the words of her mother. This opinion made me laugh, as my childish tastes in accessories do not seem to be what makes me any less mature, and it shouldn’t for anyone else.

While yes, a grown man being spotted wearing the same penguin hat in public might cause many to look twice, a fondness for that which is good and adorable does not make you any less mature than someone who dresses in a suit and tie daily. In fact, doesn't it take more dignity and courage to walk around proudly wearing something not living up to the standards of others, than it does to merely appear prim and proper? Self-acceptance is constantly being shown to be an essential part to maturity, along with the understanding of the omnipotent message to “be yourself.” Logically, this would mean that those who embrace their inner child would be more mature than those who try to hide it in order to conform to what is established as “age-appropriate.”

This article also me question how judgmental people can really be. At my intermediate school, most owners of these hats cherish and proudly wear them, but how much longer do we have until we, too, are deemed “too mature” for these? Limiting such things to age groups makes me pity adulthood, sometimes, if growing up means that individuals can't enjoy the luxury of games, cartoons, and ridiculously adorable animal hats without being questioned by society.

I advise Anita and the many other owners of this type of headgear to wear their hats, and to wear them proudly, no matter what their ages are. They can all stand with me and pity those who are simply “just too old and too dignified” for them.