"The Bone Corset" | Teen Ink

"The Bone Corset"

By thefionna13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
thefionna13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Hi c: I'm just some girl in some place. I love writing, and reading, and my friends.

“The Bone Corset” by “Natalie” touches upon a topic that graces many teenagers today. It personalizes anorexia nervosa, a psychological disorder where the affected person is made to believe that he/she is overweight when in reality, he/she is actually underweight. Anorexia nervosa is characterized as the White Woman. She presents to “Natalie” a stunning white corset, and “Natalie” accepts it in order to reach her goal of perfection. The corset is tightened without relent, the White Woman urges “Natalie” to continue, and everyone around “Natalie” is concerned. Before long, “Natalie” is put into professional help and is briefly out of the White Woman’s hold. Soon though, she succumbs to the call of the Woman and is again put in an unhealthy situation. She reaches her breaking point at a startling 68 pounds while 12 years old, and she is identical to the White Woman. She is admitted into the hospital a second time. Finally, she overcomes anorexia nervosa and still fights against the White Woman’s beckoning every day.
Eating disorders are a very real issue for teenagers, both male and female. The idea of perfection, whatever that may be, is desirable enough to blind the victim into seeing what is real. Many things can cause this, whether it be bullying at school, stress at home, or influence by media. To many young girls, so-called perfection is splayed on the cover of every magazine. What many of them don’t realize is that editing is done to the pictures. They don’t realize that that supermodel’s teeth are not that white, or that that movie star’s stomach is not that flat.
I have heard the call of the White Woman, whispering into my ears that I wasn’t good enough, that I wasn’t smart enough, pretty enough, or skinny enough. I believe that every teenage girl has heard the negative thoughts murmured subconsciously through their minds. “The Bone Corset” displays to me something that I wish to never encounter. I don’t want my parents to blame themselves, my friends to worry, and my life to slowly unravel in pursuit of perfection. “Natalie” shows the effects of society in her work, and how devastating situations can get if one doesn’t learn to accept what they see in the mirror.