"hey" | Teen Ink

"hey"

October 18, 2012
By thefionna13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
thefionna13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
12 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hi c: I'm just some girl in some place. I love writing, and reading, and my friends.


“hey” by Addi F focuses on how one text could lead to a bout of turmoil and anxiety. She receives a text from her crush, and even though it only consisted of three letters, her heart races. She scrambles for an acceptable reply. She can’t seem too eager, and she can’t seem too indifferent. Oh, what to do? Oh! Yes, it’s perfect!
“Hey.”
Just a change in capitalization and an addition of punctuation is all it takes, but then there’s another issue. Did she reply too early? Should she have waited? This is a problem that we teenage girls face. How do we reply to a text from that special someone?
She then goes on to mention that after their heartfelt conversation (sarcasm there), the boy is seen holding hands with another girl. What happened to their messages? He had texted her first. Doesn’t that mean anything? Her story ends with a late night message from the boy. “hey” “Hey.”
Reading “hey” made me turn to my friend and laugh. I’m in this situation right now.I like him. He’s oblivious. It’s like any other teen’s story. My question-how can we come off as totally calm, when on the inside, we’re anything but? How do we get over the aching feeling when we see him with other girls? How do we cope? “hey” not only made me sympathize, it also made me come to realize the hold an innocent crush can have on a person. Even though Addi was crushed when she saw him with another girl, she still replied to his text. Why? What makes a crush to undeniable?
How can we break free?