The Sound of Acceptance | Teen Ink

The Sound of Acceptance

By writereadlove GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
writereadlove GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"If you'll not be forgotten
When you are old and rotten;
Write something worth the reading,
Or do something worth the writing."
--Benjamin Franklin

“The Sound of Acceptance” by Sarah Fraas was an article that raises awareness about gay or lesbian parents. This is a topic that most people are uncomfortable with, but others often make fun of it. However, the children of homosexual parents are the ones experiencing this prejudice and trying to deal with it. Sarah describes how she cringes every time she hears other students using the word “gay” as if it were a synonym for “stupid,” and “fag” in place of “idiot.” Many of them are simply ignorant towards this issue, while some are purposely discriminating. Sarah wishes to challenge their chauvinism by sharing the struggles of being a child with two mothers through a monologue, which really opened my eyes to how cruel people can be.

In the piece, she can barely control her emotions as all of her hurtful memories race through her mind. She recalls being called lesbian in middle school as if it were a hereditary disease, having to create a fake family tree that included a father, and the startled looks of teachers at parent-teacher conferences that weren’t even attempted to be concealed. Her story is so poignant and real that she receives a grand applause at the end of her presentation, which she is convinced is the “sound of acceptance.”

There are too many people using offensive terms offhandedly, without being mindful of how their words affect others. Articles like “The Sound of Acceptance” raise awareness about being more considerate and less judgmental. As Sarah states in this piece, the public should not let their prejudices supersede an individual’s personality. It is time society learned to accept everyone for who they are, and not judge anyone based on their sexuality, race, religion, etc. I believe Teen Ink is taking a big step in the right direction by publishing articles like this one.