The Chosen People This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Standing up for something you believe is a challenge in our society. “The Chosen People” by Mark Levin is a great example of how difficult it can be. Though Mark and I follow different religions, I can relate to the stress and difficulty he had standing up for his beliefs.

Mark recounts his experience as one of the only Jews in his class. When Christmas comes, Mark feels as if the festive lights are closing in on him, but his true test is yet to come at school. The teachers want every kid to wear Santa hats for the Christmas performance. All comply – except Mark. His actions cause him to be punished, and the principal calls his mother. Happily, instead of scolding him, she rewards him for standing up for his beliefs. This story shows not just the importance of faith, but also how difficult it can be sometimes to stand by it.