Price Tags | Teen Ink

Price Tags

December 11, 2011
By AnnaBrown SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
AnnaBrown SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 1 photo 0 comments

This piece caught my attention because it started almost like a song I love. I feel when I listen to music I don’t pay attention to the message sent through the song, but more to the music itself. Just the first line of the article “Price Tags” by Lucy, Cambridge, MA reminded me of “Price Tag” by Jessie J ft. B.O.B. This piece starts off with “Everything has a price,” although it’s the not the same as the line from the famous song it still carries the same meaning. Lucy recalls a time when she ate whatever she wanted from a bakery without realizing that her mother would have to pay for it. The article shows her innocence as a little girl trying to figure out the complicated topic of money and prices. But it explains how the most important thing does not have a price.
She becomes fascinated when she learns from her mom that her fingers are “worth something”. The thoughts that immediately come into mind is she can sell her fingers to become rich and do things that would benefit her family. But money isn’t everything, as shown both in the writing and in the song lyrics. Though told from a younger point of view, the article is well written and captures the young innocent girls’ thoughts and feelings. The best thing one can have is love that will be shared with others. Even if others don’t accept it, it’s still the best thing one can offer, and that does not have a price.