Five by N.E. Garnier

I recently read “Five” by N.E. G in the October issue of Teen Ink. In this nonfiction article, the narrator tells the events of one night she remembers when she was younger. She remembers raking leaves, “marching around the world,” and staying out until it was dark. I liked this article because I am the oldest of four kids, and I used to spend time playing with my little sisters when I was younger.
In “Five,” the author uses the ages of the characters instead of their names. This confused me at first, but after I read over it a few times, I thought it was easier to understand. This helped me relate to the characters because I knew how old they were. Because I am the oldest of my siblings by a lot, I can remember playing with my sisters until it got dark.
At the end of the article, the narrator looks at a picture of Three, Five, Nine, and Eleven playing in the leaf pile that they had raked so long ago. She remembers how much fun she had that night. Out of the four, the author reveals who she was out of the four kids: Three, Five, Nine or Eleven. This makes me remember playing with my neighborhood friends and my little sisters years ago.