Less Poetry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am a high school junior who recently started reading Teen Ink. I would not consider myself to be a great writer by any means. I probably will never get any of my pieces published, but I still enjoy writing in hopes that one day I will. Being published in Teen Ink is an honor that should be awarded to only the best writers and artists.

I have noticed that you choose to publish a lot of poems. By publishing all of these I feel that Teen Ink is, in a way, giving out the opportunity to be published too easily. In no way am I trying to be disrespectful of the ­poets. I just feel that many more teens are writing better essays and stories, both of which I believe take more skill and time to create. Sometimes these poems seem quite elementary and quickly written. I think readers would rather see more essays and stories.

Please consider cutting down on the ­number of poems to preserve Teen Ink’s ­prestigious reputation for publishing skillful writers.

leafy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Everyone who has read this, and agrees with it, please look at my reply to this letter, "Less Poetry?!" at h t t p ://teenink. c o m/hot_topics/letters_to_the_editor/article/366634/Less-Poetry/

Jul. 21, 2011 at 7:47 am
cameron, if you look at the amount of poems submitted and the number in the magazine, it is a pretty good ratio. i can't believe you guys are mostly agreeing with him, in no way is it easier to publish poetry, it says it all over this site! it some ways, its easier to publish essays, especially in the community service and travel sections.

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i couldnt disagree more, and frankly i cant believe that all these people agree with your opinion   im fine with you thinking that there should be less poetry because you like short stories more, but it is absolutly not true to say that it takes less skill to write poetry    bad poetry maybe, but good poetry takes  time and effort  i dont consider myself a poet by any means, although i do dabble with it occasionally  but it certainly isnt easy  and if... (more »)

TheJust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I completely agree. Some of the poems I read and think "Wow, that was the best thing I've ever read" but others it's like, "And what was the point of that?" 

RacieeRaeRae said...
I agree, yet disagree at the same time. I completely see where you're coming from. They could be more critical when chosing which poems to publish.

svds said...
Totally agree. But, what if it's really because they want a range of beginners to pros?? That could be it, but I do agree, when you've seen unbelievable poetry written, then see what was actually published was trivial and pales in comparison, it really isn't cool!!

Brittbyheart said...
Apr. 21, 2011 at 11:02 am

I could not agree more! I have seen storie and art work and poetry that has touched my heart, but never get known. And the silly, two paragraph essay about whAt youate that morning DOES get puplished. Its madness

xxMWAHxx replied...
May 19, 2011 at 10:30 am

Brittbyheart, everyone has a different view of art. That morning of toast and hearty orange juice may be pure idiot-icy to one, but to the next it may warm your heart and touch your soul. I'm not saying I would enjoy those two paragraphs, but keep an eye out for different types of art 

Now, I'm in agreement with this article. However, I think svds is right;;perhaps they want a range of work, to show that you don't have to write perfectly in order to be published.