Review: “The King’s Speech” This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In the April issue, Amelia Brownstein’s ­review of “The King’s Speech” was an ­example of the common misconception that filmmaking involves only directors and actors. Amelia, like most people, forgot to ­acknowledge the screenwriter, film editor, and cinematographer (among many others), who, ­respectively, came up with the plot and all the dialogue; assembled the shots into a coherent piece with appropriate pacing and thematic connections; and created the lighting, angles, and overall look and feel of the film. No movie could be made without these crucial players. The director is far from the only person behind the camera.

Statements like “Director Tom Hooper made good decisions about the timing of the movie and what to emphasize” don’t recognize the input of others. Claiming that “The lengthy scene with the king’s brother was ­another fantastic director’s choice” is especially an affront to screenwriter David Seidler. It was he who wrote this scene and came up with the idea of putting Bertie’s life on screen; it was a labor of love stemming from his own experiences of stuttering as a child. He literally spent decades researching and writing the script, even through his fight with cancer.

Therefore, it is important to recognize and appreciate the efforts and talents of all those involved to bring a wonderful piece of entertainment and art to us all.

TooniyoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Okay, so I've been reading your articles lately and I've noticed that many of your reviews are getting published in the MAG. I'm planning on writting a review soon on a movie. Can you suggest somethings? (: 

karen_xoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Hi there, I actually wrote an essay on how to write a film review, but it's super long so I'll leave it in a separate comment.

Aug. 21, 2011 at 12:00 am
A film review evaluates and critiques a film. It examines the film’s artistic and aesthetic value; it tries to understand the film’s purpose and whether it achieves that purpose. A film review should consider the various aspects of the film, including the acting, writing, music, and cinematography, and how well, in the critic’s opinion, those parts combine to form an effective composition. A film review is informative and persuasive, helping readers to understand the plo... (more »)

Aug. 21, 2011 at 12:00 am
(CONTINUED)

After you have compiled all of your ideas, evaluations, and analyses, it is time to organize and polish your review. There are many ways to organize a film review, depending on, for instance, what parts of the film you want to emphasize or how in-depth the review is. When you have more experience with writing film reviews, you may wish to experiment with your organization. However, beginners may choose to use the following general organizational pattern. Rememb... (more »)

Aug. 21, 2011 at 12:02 am
Wow, that was probably way more than what you were looking for, but hopefully this helps. :)