Generation Definers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In the September issue, “Generation Definers” (by Theresa Kelly) was one of the most intriguing pieces of writing you featured. It was one girl's thoughts on growing up in the 9/11 generation, even though she feels she was too young to be affected by it. She can't really remember anything about 9/11 except a few events here and there, such as her mother asking her if anything seemed unusual in school. All she could recall was that the phone rang a lot. She remembers seeing Saddam Hussein being captured on the news, but she didn't pay attention. Same goes for the wars in the Middle East. “The war in Iraq has only become real to me in recent years; I often forget we are at war in Afghanistan,” Theresa wrote.

Theresa admits that even though she grew up in a time when many important events happened, she doesn't know much about them. In fact, she doesn't consider herself part of the 9/11 generation, the Iraq War generation, or even the generation of Obama's election.

I found this article very interesting because it felt as though she took my thoughts and put them on paper, and I bet many other readers felt this way too. I was able to identify with the article totally since I too don't really remember anything about 9/11. There's so much talk about things like Obama's presidency and what is happening in the Middle East, but I know nothing about it. Yet somehow, as kids in this day and age, we are considered part of these events even though all we did was live through them.

I thought it was brave of her to admit she knows little about these important issues in our country's history. I think she was right in deciding she won't have an opinion about them until she knows more about them.

I really hope this makes other kids in the 9/11 generation reflect on their knowledge and opinions of these events, and perhaps they will try to learn more before calling themselves children of the 9/11 generation, the Iraq War generation, or the Obama generation.

writingrocksThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Alex and lexi239, please post comments and rate my stories! You'll find them when you click on my username!

Why is it so fair that you get to be published twice in Teen Ink!?!?!?!?!? Not fair, Alex!!!!!

lexi239 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
congrats on being published Alex! mine is too! really exciting. great article

wtfmusicperson replied...
Congratz on the publication =] I thought it was well worded.