New Kid Syndrome This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Last year I was also a new kid, and I didn’t know anything about the school I was going to. It’s always hard for people to transfer to a new school, but for me it was even harder. I have never been a very social person, so I got picked on. I was always alone, and I always had a bad attitude so no one ever wanted to come near me. But during this time, my best friend, who was a grade ahead, helped me through it. She always told me not to lose hope, and now because of her I am more involved at school.

This article really made me realize that what I went through happens to many people and not everyone has someone to help them. I was fortunate to have my friend, but others might not be so lucky. Everyone should have someone to lean on, especially when they’re in a time of great anguish in their lives.