Open-Book Tests This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I could relate to the article “Open-Book Tests” by Mykayla M. I, too, am an honor roll student, and like Mykayla, I feel as though I’ve only memorized the material to get an “A” on the test. I can’t remember most of the information shortly after I’ve been tested on it.

I liked her idea of open-book tests, and wording questions so that students can better understand them works for me too. I think it would be great if math and science tests were more hands-on. For example, in geometry, when you are studying angles, perhaps the teacher could have students design a building or bridge to implement what they have learned. This would help us to see how what we are learning applies to our everyday lives in a more practical way. Teachers can then see if we truly understand what we’ve learned.