A Better Fuel - Ethanol This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I agree with this article in the March environment section. Crude oil is running low and we know it. We could grow corn, as Sarah J. endorses, and produce ethanol from it that burns up to 35% cleaner than petroleum while emitting less smog. So why don’t we do it?

Brazil leads the world in using ethanol for fuel, and American companies are actually starting to follow. In January, General Motors began promoting the Chevy Tahoe as a flex-fuel vehicle and Ford is selling a flex-fuel versions of its F-150 pickup. Vehicles designated flex-fuel can run on gasoline or E85, a fuel mix that is 85% ethanol and 15% gas (Wall Street Journal).

Right now the big problem with flex-fuel vehicles is the lack of stations providing E85. Companies should start switching over to reduce the use of crude oil and help the environment. If we don’t do something soon, our planet will not be a very healthy place to live.