How Long Submissions Take to be Approved | Teen Ink

How Long Submissions Take to be Approved

It seems that when you submit something, it takes weeks, perhaps even months for it to be approved. Everything is always published on the website, is it not? Has anyone ever received a letter saying your article was not approved and will never will be? I don't think so. Why not just post everything up right away so we no longer have to wait and wait to see our work up online.

14312 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 27 2023 at 11:30 am
14312 BRONZE, Germantown, Maryland

When duty falls, it falls to you

My first piece only took a few hours to be approved, which was a nice surprise. I'm sure submission-to-publication times have no determining factor.

on Jun. 5 2023 at 2:19 pm
SadieIsNumber1 BRONZE, Weatherford, Texas
A work im very proud of has been taking way too long to be published. its kind of stressful.

on Aug. 1 2022 at 9:14 am
Silentcrow BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky

Fall down. That's ok get back up and keep going!

My first poem took a good three months before it was released but yesterday I posted my latest and this morning it was already approved so I would assume that more frequent authors would get results faster

on Oct. 7 2021 at 7:55 pm
WolfGurl PLATINUM, Not A Real Place, Indiana

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. –Anatole France.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. –Josh Billings

Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.- George Carlin

A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people. —Franklin D. Roosevelt

Never lose. Either win, or learn. - Me

Actually, side note, um, my work HAS be turned down, so....

on May. 18 2021 at 6:20 pm

Never lose. Either win, or learn. - Me

Yuug.

I'm new.

Will it REALLY take that long?

Gray_Marie said...
on Jan. 13 2021 at 12:07 pm
Gray_Marie, Fenton, Missouri

It's a lot easier to criticize than it is to create
-Peter McKinnon

I submitted a poem almost two years ago and I haven't received any updates yet. Starting to think I never will.

on Oct. 29 2020 at 9:13 pm
Katmcd25 BRONZE, Washington, Connecticut

"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why." -Paloma Faith

i have artwork that i posted 2 months ago and it still hasnt been approved. i also have a story that was deleted from docs so in order to access it i need to wait for it to be approved. I dont know why we cant even read it while its being approved

on Oct. 1 2020 at 1:39 pm

i posted a story last year and it took less than a week to publish but i posted a month ago and it hasnt been approved yet

Movie_Mochi said...
on Jun. 28 2020 at 7:22 pm
Movie_Mochi, Pinole, California

"I wanna go home now."
-Squidward Tentacles

I understand where you're coming from, but I'm actually happy that they do check everything. Don't get me wrong; the wait time is a MASSIVE pain. But I feel as though if they didn't there would be a LOT of inappropriate work that would drive many people away. Not to mention, this is supposed to be for 13-19-year-olds and some parents-such as my own- need the website to have a filter in order for them to feel safe enough for their child to post and converse with other people here.

on Apr. 1 2020 at 3:44 pm
gthode_of_the_arts BRONZE, Sumter, South Carolina

"If you have been brutally broken, but still have the courage to be gentle to others then you deserve a love deeper than the ocean itself." - Nikita Gill

I submitted at least 6 works, one for a contest, and I still have not had those images and 1 short story approved, and I submitted them almost two months ago.

on Mar. 10 2020 at 3:17 pm

I have 6 submissions, 5 of them are photography. One is an article. I can understand the article taking a while, but the photos? That seems like it would take less than a week to be approved.

on Feb. 19 2020 at 8:16 pm
kcornell13 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

"Aim for the moon. If you miss, you might just hit a star."

I don't know what you guys are complaining about. When I submit things they usually get approved in about two weeks.

on Feb. 3 2020 at 10:18 am
Bruvton DIAMOND, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

"They don't think it is what it does, but it do." ~Oscar Gamble

It takes over a month to get submissions accepted into the website. It seems like a long time, but considering the amazing opportunity we're given it is well worth it. It usually takes 3 months or more for normal literary magazines to accept or deny submissions, and if they're denied they aren't seen by anyone. Teen Ink, to me, is like a literary magazine that not only takes less time to review submissions, but also doesn't let submissions go to waste if they're not accepted into the print magazine by posting them onto the website.
My best advice is to treat Teen Ink as more of a literary magazine when you submit work, and not like an average writing website. You should publish mainly on websites that don't review every submission, and submit your best work to Teen Ink in hopes that you may be published in print. Don't give up if your first 10 stories don't make it onto the print magazine; keep on sending in your favourite works.
I believe I've had four pieces that were not accepted to the website. Two of them were collaborations (you can't post work on behalf of others), one had references to suicide (it's against the rules to talk about suicide), and one was an opinion piece that I guess was seen as top offensive.

Robert214 GOLD said...
on Jan. 26 2020 at 6:55 pm
Robert214 GOLD, Guangzhou, Other

Make the best of what is within our power, and take the rest as it occurs. -Epictetus

The review time is indeed a bit too long...

on Nov. 9 2019 at 6:09 pm
tarantula BRONZE, West Hollywood, California
What is the current waiting time for fiction and opinion?

LuanaC BRONZE said...
on Jun. 16 2019 at 12:37 am
LuanaC BRONZE, Cupertino, California
I believe it is good that they review everything, so that TeenInk can be appropriate and highly qualified. I wouldn't be as proud for my work to get published, if it wouldn't be controlled or if it would be uploaded among a lot of inappropriate articles. Also, they need to review it to give the badges. They are responsible for the publications on here and on how the readers are influenced, so it is their decision wether to approve it or not and in my opinion it is definitelt better to control all the submission, even if it takes a long time to do so.

on Mar. 18 2019 at 6:26 pm
nikbha21 BRONZE, Hillsborough, New Jersey
actually, one of my works was rejected since it was a duplicate (an accident) so that's probably why.

on Oct. 1 2018 at 9:21 pm
Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
- Winnie the Pooh

I'm just thankful that they publish my work. It does take kind of a long time, but, you know, there are many, many other people who also submit their work and need to get it approved.

on Aug. 30 2018 at 8:20 pm
Phantom092 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

I now Pronounce you blocked and deleted. You may kiss my @$$

you make a very good point. i think it is really stupid that we have to wait. welp bye! to wattpad i go!!! yah know...so i DONT have to wait.

on Jun. 8 2018 at 4:24 pm
Davianna BRONZE, Ionia, Michigan
1 article 1 photo 3 comments

Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well. -Mark Haddon

Agreed!