Happy Endings This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have noticed that many of the fiction and nonfiction works published in Teen Ink have a positive outlook, a happy ending. While these are pleasant to read, one has to ask, when is optimism too much? I'm all for positive thinking, but readers should also be exposed to the darker side of life. Why not publish a story about someone who experiences a tragedy and gets nothing in return? After all, that's life.

Also, some stories feature young people who have overcome drug addictions or eating disorders. While these experiences are appreciated, what about those who face an addiction but are unable to defeat it?

Not every story has a happy ending. I think it would benefit Teen Ink's readers to see both kinds: happy and real.

KatsKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm:
Yeah, I agree. Life isn't always happy. I write mostly stuff that isn't considered "cheerful". A peer editor from my class after reading my story told me that it was really sad, which it was. Real life doesn't alwaays work out.

MissBookWorm said...
Jun. 10, 2011 at 3:55 pm:
I truly agree with you and me, like many others reading TI out there, do enjoy angsty pieces due to the emotion that's in there but optimistic pieces are also very important to have, especially in a magazine geared towards teenagers. At this stage in our life, we have to know that things will get better and that we can overcome things like bulemia or cutting or a close friend dying. That's why true stories filled with optimism are so great to have in TI.

WritingSpasms said...
May 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm:
I don't mind happy endings, but I find that dark conclusions are easier for me to write, simply because there's more passion and realism.

Uhavgot tobe kidinme said...
we read books to get out of everyday life NOT to read about some tragic death where nobody gets the guy or everybody commits suicide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when peple read a book they want a sad beggining a mystery as to whether someone will die in the end (maybe they do on rare occasions) and then we want a happy ending like i said before we read books to GET OUT of reality!!!!!!!!!!!!

loms said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 10:18 am:
ok job and good

DreamsAreBroken said...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 8:32 am:
i agree completely. when i was little i wouldnt read fairytales, still wont. i agree. in alll these storys people overcome everything. sometimes even death. its not life.

KatsKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm :
Have you read Grimm's fairy tales? Those aren't the pleasant fairy tales where the guy always snags the girl.

writingrocks This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think it is always good to have a positive outlook in writing, but maybe the darker side is also very interesting. But parents do not like their children exposed to negative endings that might change their point of view in life. Teen Ink is a very great magazine, and parents do appreciate the hard work, but would they like it if it was "bad"?

Naninee said...
Dec. 12, 2010 at 3:46 am:

I agree with you.Writers these days have the tendency to write stories with happy endings.It's not bad.I mean,why shouldn't it all come to a happy ending?Than we could all be pleased,right?

The thing is,real life doesn't have so many happy endings.So I also think that (and agree with you on that one) those unhappy endings should be present as well as the sad ones.We should be aware of the fact that not everything has a positive ending.

Experiences from other teenagers,good... (more »)

KRR131719 said...
Nov. 3, 2010 at 7:33 am:
I think its just a mattr of how much you read. Want something without a happy ending? Read "fair try" by me :P But you're right, people gravitate toward "it all gets better" because its hard to admit that, actually, it might not. Its an 'ignorance is bliss' kind of thing. You just have to find someone who can actually see the darkness that glares them in the face.

MickeyH said...
While the traditional happy ending is a great ending, sad ones may be just as bad. I totally agree that we could use some sad endings, but I usually prefer one with happy endings, mainly because I prefer a book to leave me with positive thoughts. But you have a great point.

MickeyH replied...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 6:05 pm :
Forgot to add- there is a book series that may be a little lower than teen level that I tried to read (hated it- too many sad endings) it's called the Series of Unfortunate events. Idk if you'd like it much but you could give it a try if you're looking for sorrowful endings.

Amieee said...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 2:47 am:
yup, happy ending stories are nice, but it's good to have a sad one every once in a while

Shelly-T said...
Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:49 am:
Thats great, I never thought of that, but you're right. 

sambo said...
May 30, 2010 at 10:37 pm:
I agree with you 100%.  It is important for people--especially young people like us--to have some views to rather negative or unfortunate things.  Stories should be as real as life.

LovelyMystery said...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 10:14 am:
You can check out one of my Stories. It is called "Rose Petals" It might be a story that you are looking for.

PK4evr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
hi there! i read your article in the magazine. if you're looking for a story without a happy ending, you could try "One Action, Many Consequences" or "She Sabotaged My Suicide Attempt". Both pieces are by me. the second one lets the reader decide the ending. let me know if that works out for you! -natalie

Matt-JT said...
Sept. 20, 2009 at 6:47 am:
Both of the pieces I have published on this site have "dark" matter confined within the pages. Death, greed, confusion, anger, violence, all make up the bulk of my two stories and for the first several months that these were on the website published, I had a hope of getting them in the print. That died away with the main character in the second story. Even though, my stories can hold the top of the fiction's most popular list for days in a row, it's the audiances that limit t... (more »)

Darshan S. said...
I know I'm new to the site, but I cannot neither totally agree nor disagree. I believe that it's hope and optimism that truly brings out the joy in life. At this point, a number of people will scoff at me and ask me "you for real, deusch?"
Yeah. I am. And I mean it.
Yes we shouldnt over-do it. But consider this- as you yourself stated- what if a drug addict reads about another drug addict unable to overcome it? Personally, I think it may make it worse for him. H... (more »)

Allie N. said...
i totally agree! ive had some dark things published, but none of the ones really sinister get put on here.