Shame

Mr. Editor,

Every child has his/her moments of anger, sadness, and confusion. Writers tend to write about it. Sometimes, after the anger or sadness has passed, we reread our articles and realize how callow and inane we were.

I wrote an article called Two for One, the one that I am most mortified and ashamed of. I was very mad, hurt, and boiling with emotions. The boy I was mad at was the youngest child of three children, so my article was about committing to a law that limits a family to two kids. If that were to exist, then I would have never been hurt. But that kind of idea is wrong, I realize now that I'm not angry at that boy anymore.

Another article I am most ashamed of is Sacreligon. The article was about me mutilating the Bible. Yes, I did, but it's not something I'm proud of. My school was very religious, a Mennonite school, and I felt like I was suffocating (there was too much religion, and I felt trapped and like I was suffocating). After I wrote the article, a day later, I reread it and died! I was overly embarrassed that I actually wrote the article, and mad that I posted it on teenink! The worst part of it is that now I'm seeing the light, and researching different religions.

Teenink is a great idea, and an amazing place to share work. However, too me, I have many regrets about posting some of my articles on teenink, and I wish I never had. That's why I believe that there should be a delete button for the writer to obtain. Only the writer would have access to deleting his/her article, but at least there's the option to erase your shame.

Sincerely,
Electricity

Zora. said...
Hell yes. I just want to delete everything I've ever put on here and go away, anonymous and invisible again.

Teen Ink said...
If you want a submission removed from this site, simply email the web address of the piece to editor@TeenInk.com with the subject line "Don't Post" and we'll take it down.
The reason Teen Ink doesn't allow submitters to edit and remove their work is that Teen Ink is, first and foremost, a magazine for publishing teen work. When you submit something to us – whether through the website or by mail – you are submitting it for consideration for the print mag... (more »)

Sunshineyday said...
Sept. 2, 2009 at 9:38 am
Well maybe you should not be so quick to click submit. My work usually sits in the notebook for a couple days, & has a final round of edititing and checking before I type it up and submit it. Try that. It has worked many times for me to make my poems better. Or you can post anonymously.

Zero_K This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Bravo!!!!!! I Whole-heartedly agree! I wish I could delete sticks and stones, and as you suggested, I'm rewriting it for a more satisfying ending. However, it's still going to be uber creepy and not that happy. I think Teenink should do this.
ZERO