Critiquing the Critics | Teen Ink

Critiquing the Critics

March 5, 2019
By KayleeKrei BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
KayleeKrei BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The writing titled, “Critiquing the Critics” written by Helen L. talks about online critics making fun of children’s art. I feel a very strong and valid point is given in this writing. Online critics on websites such as “deviantart” and “Tumblr” come across artwork they find “ cringy” and decide to let the creators know exactly what they think. Most of these comments are harsh and offensive and directed toward children as it is they who create the artwork. As Helen L. says, “Their art reflects developing skills and a child’s imagination”. This means their artwork is nowhere near looking professional. I agree with Helen L., It is wrong to shame children for not producing professional quality art. Helen provides support to this claim by comparing art to professional swimmers and swimming for fun. She says “Because the professional standard of swimmers becomes irrelevant in a backyard pool, people do not pressure kids to swim as well as professional athletes.” It is agreeable that this mindset should pertain to young artists as well.