Birthmarks | Teen Ink

Birthmarks

March 5, 2019
By KayleeKrei BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
KayleeKrei BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The writing titled “Birthmarks”, written by Josephine F., talks about Josephine’s experience with Peutz-Jeghers syndrome. Her writing left me feeling inspired, hopeful and a little disappointed as well. It is discouraging to be constantly reminded of your own insecurities. It is easy to quickly grow self-conscious of parts of yourself others point out repeatedly. Josephine writes, “In pictures, I used to hide my birthmarks by pursing my lips so I wouldn’t have to deal with people’s questions”. This is what is disappointing to me. Nobody wants to hide their insecurities, but we feel as though we have to. Josephine says that on top of being insecure about Peutz-Jeghers syndrome, she had procedures done for it as well. Josephine says her cousin has a similar situation, but presented herself with confidence. Josephine writes that she has grown to be more confident and accepting of her birthmarks. She writes, “I am finally accepting who I am and now I won’t tolerate people making fun of me”. This is truly inspiring, but I do hope someday nobody will have to deal with negative comments about themselves.