Review of | Teen Ink

Review of

By Isabella3373 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Isabella3373 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

The writing titled "Black Tea," written by Jarred Von Kaenel, talks about frustration and pent-up feelings. His writing left me also feeling frustrated. I read "Black Tea" about six times before I truly understood what he was trying to say, and when I did, I really felt the emotion he conveys. I think I most resonate with the way the poem makes you feel. It's almost like frustrating anticipation with no resolution or as the author describes it, "...the urgency of a finished teapot." I love how well he expresses his feelings to the point where I feel them projected on to me. I also relate to the situation he describes:"I struggle to write what's within." Although his situation is more specifically with writing, I take him "writing" as a metaphor for speaking. Quite often I find myself unable to speak about how I feel, and in turn I mask it with humor. He describes his thoughts and feelings as a whireling hurricane that he can't help but contain because "...tea time has been cancelled today." This poem made me realize that I make tea time. I decide when the hurricane is finally written out. The only thing holding me back is me.

A review of the recently published poem by Jarred Von Kaenel in the December issue of Teen Ink.