A Letter to my Middle School Self | Teen Ink

A Letter to my Middle School Self

By Maddie5224 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Maddie5224 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

Selection 1 Page 15

The writing titled “A Letter to my Middle School Self,” written by Patience Kish, talks about how she was in middle school, her struggles around the school and how she felt about school. Her writing left me feeling sad, and relatable. I liked this article because it talks about the struggles she went through in middle school and I feel that almost every person has at least done or felt one of the problems she talks about like when she wrote, “Your peers don’t think your cool because you watch “Doctor Who” or “Supernatural” or whatever dumb TV show was trending on Tumblr earlier that week,” or it could be a problem like this problem she wrote about: “There is going to come a day, near the end of 8th grade, where Timmy is going to get in your face, his face will be red, contrasting with the blondeness of his eyebrows arching high on his forehead his lips slick with saliva. He’s going to call you every name in the book: …, …, dumb, stupid, waste of space, etc., etc., etc. You want to punch him in the face. You’re going to want to punch him in the face so bad. You’re going to want to punch him in the face so badly it burns. But you dig your nails into your palm so hard, the impressions are still going to be there when you go to bed.” She is telling you the problems she faced as a middle school student and at the end of the article she tells you to face up to your problems, punch the bully in the face because they deserved it, because if you don’t you might end up regretting it years down the road.