Satire Is Not Judgemental | Teen Ink

Satire Is Not Judgemental

September 24, 2018
By GrantAden BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
GrantAden BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The writing titled “Thank You, Don’t Come Again,” written by Rochelle R., talks about racism in the Simpsons. Her writing left me feeling sort of surprised or shocked by how ignorant it seems.

I believe this is a rather strange topic to even discuss at all. The Simpsons has always tried to offend people, so I don’t understand what the issue is now. There are very few people in today’s society who take The Simpsons, which the author said herself is a satirical show, seriously. Apu is not the only character on the program who could be seen as “misrepresented”. Not all white fathers are irresponsible, fun loving man-children, not all teen boys try to be rebellious bad boys, and not all young ladies are exactly like Lisa Simpson who has many different character traits and talents. Would anyone say The Simpsons’ portrayal of other races, such as blacks and Asians is a completely accurate representation? No! That is the point of shows that stray away from political correctness. Not everyone finds everything racist. Poking fun at the fact that lots of Indian people own or work at gas stations is comical to your everyday American because it is quite a common occurrence. I don’t think most people think any differently of a race/culture simply because of a cartoon, especially one like The Simpsons. There is nothing wrong with wanting people to respect your culture, but don’t go after a comedy show. If you are THAT uptight about comedy that isn’t 100% politically correct, just please keep your comment and opinions as just that, do not try to ruin or take away from shows just because it offends you. The author writes, “The character is even voiced by a caucasian male”. Why do voice actors matter? Look at the show Naruto. The main character is a Japanese boy but is voiced by a middle-aged white woman. It is simply what the director or creator(s) thought sounded best for what they were going for. The author also states, “Apu’s voice actor said he was going for a white guy doing an impression of a white guy doing an Indian impression.” Just understand there is no ill-will towards anyone satirical shows mock, it is all in good fun, and simply not having the same sense of humor as the show’s average viewers, even if you find them “numb-skulled.” You do not need to attack the show and its viewers, just be a little more lenient and allow people to laugh at stuff THEY find funny.  


The author's comments:

I felt like I needed to share my thoughts on people going after comedy shows.