Dress to Impress | Teen Ink

Dress to Impress MAG

September 24, 2018
By eborgelt BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
eborgelt BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The writing titled “Dress to Impress,” written by Cooper G., talks about his view on the dress code and how it is for girls versus for boys. His writing left me feeling satisfied, understood, and kind of surprised. I felt understood and surprised when I read this selection because I didn’t think that boys really put any thought in how the dress code treats girls and it was satisfying to read that he was in support of us girls. I agree with the author’s standpoint on this subject because, I too, believe that the dress code is more strict and geared more so to call out embarrass us girls about what we are wearing more so than it does for guys. I relate to and understand this article because it happens in my own school all the time, where girls have to be extra careful about what they wear while boys don’t really have to be worried about being called out in front of everyone because of their outfit. I do think that this article is well written, and I believe that his arguments are extremely valid. He showed the difference the dress code makes for either gender when he wrote, “As a boy, I took the dress code in stride because it didn’t affect me, but as I witness my younger sister struggling with it on a daily basis, I wonder whether it treats boys and girls equally.” Personally, I found it extremely gratifying and empowering when he states, “If dress codes are used because revealing or short skirts are distracting, doesn’t the scrutiny girls go through draw more attention to them? Why should it be the problem of the girl wearing the clothing and not the person distracted by it.?” I especially liked it when he wrote, “What are the schools teaching girls at such a young age? That they shouldn’t be free to wear what they want and express themselves? That they deserve whatever they get because of what they wearing?” I find that in this article Cooper G. may have found where one of our society’s main problems come from and pretty much called everyone out on it.