Thank You for Guiding Me | Teen Ink

Thank You for Guiding Me MAG

August 27, 2018
By Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
325 articles 10 photos 1165 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks


Dear Editors,

I have been on Teen Ink for over four incredibly full years. I was prompted to continue writing by my 7th grade Social Studies teacher at the very end of the year, which led me to this site. I didn't think it would amount to much; I had no idea why I was supposed to indent paragraphs (or when to create new ones), how to quote dialogue, or even how to stay in past or present tense while creating my stories. I was a wreck, but I wasn't "talentless"; I was an amateur. I am so thankful for it, too.

Looking back, I see success in every misplaced comma and seamless run-on sentence. I can adore the way that I have grown, because I worked so hard for it. I was afraid to admit that I was ever a "bad" writer out of fear of being seen as less than a prodigy, but I now happily show off my ugly first drafts and my uneven stanzas. Teen Ink was my guide towards what I gratefully acknowledge as achievement, and this can be attested for by the 330+ articles I have posted onto my profile.

I am finally saying goodbye to this site, its magazine, and every lovely editor who has ever read and approved my work. I turned eighteen this past August, and I think it is finally time to jump into a new ocean of possibilities. As my journey with Teen Ink comes to a loving close, I want to say thank you to everyone within it; the members, editors, and readers. I would never have figured this whole writing thing out on my own. My parents were (and still are, at times) busy people, and friends come and go; but no matter what, Teen Ink has always been a constant for me.

I was told that nothing will ever beat experience, and I wholeheartedly believe that. This experience will stay with me forever.

Thank you, Teen Ink!