Why Mental Health Should Be Taught In School | Teen Ink

Why Mental Health Should Be Taught In School

May 28, 2018
By Wirepirate BRONZE, London Ontario, Ontario
Wirepirate BRONZE, London Ontario, Ontario
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Affirmative, Mental health should be taught in school! If I asked  you what is mental health, could you tell me what it is? Most people couldn’t.They don’t know because Mental health is not taught in school. I will be explaining why mental health should be a subject in school.

By the age of 40 an estimated 50% of Canada's population will or have experienced a mental health issue. 70% of mental health issues start between the ages of 15 and 24. Anxiety disorders affect 5% of the household population. These are only 3 of the Hundreds possibly thousands of facts about how common mental health issues are today. Many of the people that have these issues aren't aware what mental health is or how to recognize it when there is a problem. So how would they know if something is wrong with their mental health? There are many stories online about people who thought their mental health was normal when really something was wrong. Teaching mental health classes at school will let them know something is wrong.

The definition of mental health is “ the state of your psychological and emotional well-being,"according to Canada.ca the Canadian governments website. In simpler terms the health of your mind. 1 in 5 Canadians have a mental health problem, that is seven million, two hundred fifty-eight thousand, people. That is a lot of people but that is only in Canada. Mental health affects everyone worldwide, it should not only taught in Canada but taught in schools everywhere. Physical health is taught to everyone, everywhere while mental health is ignored. Both are equally important and they should both be taught !


Even very young kids experience or are born with mental health issues. Nearly 5 million babies are born each year in the U.S with mental health issues. If the majority of adults don't know what mental health is, how do we expect young children or ourselves to know what mental health is. If we do teach mental health in school, children everywhere will be able to recognize and change habits that promote a healthy mind and recognize when they might have a problem or when to find help for a problem . They should be taught how to deal with their own mental health concerns. If we do teach mental health in schools then we will know what a healthy mental state is and how to maintain good mental health and know how to deal with their own mental health. Every student needs to learn about their mental health as well as their physical health, without good mental health the body gets sick . So we should learn about our mental health too.

So now you can see that mental health should be a subject taught in school. People can learn what mental health is and how to maintain it. People are taught in school how to take care of their bodies but not their minds. Both are important and both physical and mental health make up a healthy and happy person. Understanding how important teaching mental health in school will lead to  healthier, happier students. We should teach Mental health in the school health program, it’s only fair that we learn how to take care of our brains as well as our bodies.