Socialism in America | Teen Ink

Socialism in America

May 18, 2018
By coltonh SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
coltonh SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

What Is socialism? The definition varies depending on who you ask. Socialism is a far left economic system. Most will say it's akin to a less extreme version of communism. It is seen as when the people control the means of production and distribution. The term made popular by 2016 presidential candidate Bernie Sanders when he proposed “democratic socialism”, which is a capitalist economy with many aspects of socialism, such as in denmark, as his next step for america, should he be elected. Lots of people supported his ideas, but more people didn’t. I will be focusing on that kind of “democratic socialism”, and why I think it is the right step for America. It will also cover the history and types of socialism, arguments for it, and arguments against it.


First, the history of socialism. socialism is the work and philosophising of many people Notably, Karl Marx, the founder of communism. There is also different types of socialism. Some more extreme than others. some examples such as the ussr and venezuela featured harsh and corrupt authoritarian governments that seized private property and forced people to work on mass farms for little to no pay. Socialism as seen in countries such sweden and denmark is much less extreme. They are more a free market economy with many aspects of socialism.


Now for the reasons to support socialism. There are many arguments in favor of socialism. One reason to support is the success of more socialist countries like denmark and sweden. These countries have a very happy and prosperous population. A 2017 study based on factors like gdp, social and economical security and support, life expectancy, and overall happiness, by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network for the United Nations showed Denmark Sweden and Norway in the top 5. On the contrary the United States ranked 18th. However, what a lot of people don’t realize is the US already has many aspects of socialism, Social security, public schools, public roads are a few notable example of the public ownership of socialism and welfare.


There are however, good reasons not to support. There are also a lot of people who oppose the higher taxes that come with it. A 2017 study by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), showed that Denmark has one of the highest tax rates in the world, 25.3% for a married couple with two children. That same couple in the U.S. would only pay 13.7%, almost half. However, the danes also spend less on many things such as health care.


A study by CNN Money showed that the us spent 3.2 trillion USD on healthcare last year. That’s almost 10,000$ per person, including children. In Denmark healthcare is mostly provided by the government and is mostly free of charge. Another thing Danes save money on is college. Higher education in Denmark is free of charge. According to a study by the student support organization ”College Board” the average college student in the U.S. pays $10,000 per year of college at a public school, and about $30,000 for private colleges. That’s $40,000 for a bachelor's degree, or $120,000 at a private college.


So is socialism the right path for America? It’s difficult to say. However, there is good evidence (above) that democratic socialism like that proposed by Bernie sanders and like that of countries like Denmark and Sweden, could benefit America and many other countries as well, and hopefully make a more economically and socially secure world for all of us.