Being a Depressed Teen in High School | Teen Ink

Being a Depressed Teen in High School

Being a teenager and in high school is not easy, you’re in the point of life being between a kid and adult at the same time. One in 10 teens is diagnosed with depression before the age of 18. Those numbers are even higher with teenagers who have learning or attention issues.

People want you to act mature yet you’re still a kid, but still you get treated like an adult, and that is difficult. High school is hard enough, but when you are a depressed person still having to live up to everyone’s expectations at school that can cause the teen to clash and explode.

Depression and anxiety can make you hold everything in. The best way to describe depression is the feeling of being numb and drowning all at once; but the worst thing you can still see people around.

And how to describe anxiety it’s like a big weight on you, but you can’t push it off you. It’s even.

Harder for a depressed teen to get out of bed and socialize with people when you really don’t want to, but you’re forced to – Because you really don’t have a choice, school involves lots of people around and you can either choose to be isolated or force yourself to socialize. You want to snap out of that mental cloud, but you cannot – it is a disease.

If people would talk more about mental illness, it’ll be less of a taboo, that is making especially teenagers, feel less like they’re alone.
Most people blame the teen for being depressed or having a mental illness in general, but it’s not the teens fault. You’re going through lots of different things as a teen; people need to get more educated on mental health especially of the mental states of teens.

High School’s hard enough let alone suffering from depression. Mental health matters just as physical health does.

Some red flags that the teen is at risk for seriously hurting themselves or completing suicide is if they start engaging in self-destructive behaviors such as cutting, or burning. Giving up on schoolwork, some drop-in grades, or feeling hopeless.
If you or someone you know is at risk of hurting themselves call the suicide prevention life line or if its urgent call 9-11
Lastly, remember that you are never alone. - Many people suffer from depression including myself.