Instagram's New #HereForYou Campaign: The New Way To Create Awareness | Teen Ink

Instagram's New #HereForYou Campaign: The New Way To Create Awareness

July 10, 2017
By writer_girl2012 BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
writer_girl2012 BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Instagram has been popular since 2010, and the new popular hashtag going around is the "#HereForYou" campaign. It was first introduced May 8th on Good Morning America, and it takes on awareness for mental health. It encourages users to share their mental health struggles, but it can encompass everything from depression and suicide to eating disorders.

"For the campaign, Instagram teamed up with Pretty Little Liars star Troian Bellisario, who has spoken out in the past about her own struggles with eating disorders, to help others dealing with similar issues.

“Once you have an eating disorder, it is something that you are always sort of in touch with,” Bellisario told ABC News. “It’s something that you’re always … not necessarily always struggling with, or struggling under … but it is always something that is present.”

The 31-year-old actress added that this campaign will help encourage people to open up about their struggles more on social media, as opposed to only posting about the positive aspects of their lives and shying away from topics such as mental health issues.

" “I have a lot of friends … and fans, who feel sometimes like Instagram is the place in which you have to make your life perfect,” Bellisario said. “You have to show only the best version of your life. Only the happy moments. Only the highlights. And it leaves a huge part of your life that is hidden and in the dark."

Mental health, suicide, and body image struggles have always been topics that seem taboo to be discussed,hence why people's problems always seem to stay in the dark until it is too late.

Maybe though, with our technology driven generation, we can change that stigma, and help others with problems such as these. We need to take away the stigma that all of these topics have before these things take away someone that we love.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece because I have known people affected by depression and suicide.