Random Student Drug Testing | Teen Ink

Random Student Drug Testing

By jtruppert SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jtruppert SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

A study done by the National Institute on Drug abuse reveals that at least 34.9 % of students regularly use at least one illicit drug (National). This startling fact poses the question  is society as a whole doing enough to help the nation’s youth stay away from these harmful and illegal substances? Is anything being done to solve this imposing challenge to society? The short answer is no. Very little is being done to curb the appeal of drugs to teenagers in the United States. Some would argue that small programs, similar to red ribbon week, provide students with the necessary knowledge to prevent substance abuse. Principal Chris Steffner of Hackettstown High School in New Jersey would argue these programs are ineffective. “None of those things have any lasting impact,” she says. “Peer pressure is so strong” (Marquis).  So what can be done? The answer is already being practiced in the workforce. Many private companies like Highmark, Bayer, and Hershey drug test their employees. They are motivated by the potential of a clear thinking, able, and better workforce created by eliminating drug use. Should the same be done in schools? Absolutely. Why would schools not provide an environment that promotes clear thinking, able bodied individuals? Random student drug testing should be mandated by the government and implemented by my school because testing allows for early detection of substance use, creates positive peer pressure against substance use, and deters substance use ultimately increasing students’ chances at a successful future.

Random student drug testing allows for early detection of substance abuse. Early detection is imperative to stamping out a potential drug addiction. Today, drugs are generally available to anyone who desires them. It is a sad reality, but a study documented by the US National Library of Medicine reveals that teens are getting involved in drug use as early as 6th-8th grades (Ali). These twelve to fourteen year old kids should be developing critical social and intellectual skills, not drug addictions. If schools implemented random student drug testing, teens who fell victim to drugs would be able to get the help they needed to avoid a future dominated by drug addiction. Additionally, families are not identifying risk factors of substance use, therefore not communicating with their children the importance of a drug free life. Communication is the most powerful tool to thwarting drug abuse; however, it is natural for  parents to shy away from these uncomfortable conversations with their children. These are hard conversations that parents are unwilling to have unless the situation warrants it. Random student drug testing alerts parents of a student’s positive test, and it allows them to get their child the necessary help quickly. Early detection is also important because it can potentially prevent the consequences that come with drug use. Results from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, administered by the National Findings Office of Applied Studies, reveal a strong correlation between illicit drug use and motor vehicle accidents, risky sexual behaviors, suicide rates, and high school dropout rates (National). Obviously, these are not favorable outcomes for the nation’s future working generation. Random student drug testing could detect substance abuse early on, preventing the alarming consequences that come with drug use. A study done in 2007 run by the Department of Public Health of Croatia followed at risk teens to test how early detection affects them. They found that half of discovered addicts were admitted into treatment by their families. Furthermore, a third of addicts registered themselves within substance abuse treatment in Croatian health institutions (Croatian). All of these teens had their drug addiction discovered quickly, and as a result, they sought out rehabilitation which could increase their likelihood of becoming productive members of society. Early detection has been proven to help at risk youth, but how can communities identify these teens without random student drug tests? Random student drug testing allows adults to identify at risk teens and refer them for treatment. Not only does random student drug testing promote early detection, but it also creates an environment full of positive peer pressure against drug use.
Even though early detection is essential in thwarting drug abuse, complete prevention should be the end goal. Environments that promote anti-drug attitudes and emit a pressure to remain drug free could be the answer. Positive peer pressure is created by random student drug testing because students are no longer able to hide abusive tendencies. Picture this scenario. The school’s soccer team qualifies for the state championship, but the star goalie tests positive for drugs the day before. Imagine the disappointment among the student body. Random student drug testing could discourage students from taking drugs by threatening them with serious consequences like being banned from school activities. “Peer pressure among young people can be a powerful and persuasive force,” the Office of National Drug Control Policy states. “Knowing they may have to submit to a drug test can help kids overcome the pressure to take drugs giving them a convenient ‘out’” (Student).  Positive peer pressure can encourage students to stop doing drugs in fear of disappointing their peers. Ketchikan High School, located in Alaska, has been testing student athletes since 2000. Erik Pihl, a student, said, “It’s an easy reason to say no.” Students from that specific school district are aware from middle school that they will be tested for illicit drugs their freshman year. Pihl elaborated, “They don’t have the chance to pick up on drugs” (Marquis). Steve Bradshaw, the superintendent, has been pleased with the program because it helps kids deflect negative peer pressure that can be experienced during a student’s four years in high school. Bradshaw remarks, “When they are freshman and sophomores and are hitting the high school level, there is a lot of pressure to party, and this is an excuse not to party” (Marquis). Early results have been overwhelmingly positive. Only two to four students test positive a year at their school, an outstanding statistic considering that in a self survey, over 50% of graduating high school students say that they have tried drugs (Effectiveness). Peer pressure can be a powerful tool, and if it is used correctly, it can create a resoundingly positive outcome. The students at Ketchikan High School have embraced the testing and created a learning environment that promotes the growth of young people. The peer pressure caused by the random student drug testing has significantly diminished drug use, focusing the school on learning.

Focusing at risk teenagers on things like education and morals instead of drugs can be extremely beneficial for the teen. Random student drug testing deters substance use, ultimately increasing students’ chances at a successful future. From the moment a child is born, it is a parents’ dream to see them graduate from college--there is something to be said about higher education. B.B. King, a world renowned musician once said, “The beautiful thing about learning is no one can take it away from you” (10 Great).  For those reasons, it can be concluded that continuous enrollment rates in college and 4 year graduation rates can be used as indicators of a person's success. The University of Maryland followed a group of students from their first day at the college to investigate the connection between illicit drug use and academic outcomes. What they found was that “marijuana use and other illicit drug use are both associated with a decreased likelihood of continuous enrollment in college, independent of several other possible risk factors” (Drug Use). A random student drug test would help college students who would otherwise drop out for no other reason than drug abuse. Nothing points to different results in a high school setting. The bottom line is random student drug testing helps students focus on their academics, setting them up for a successful future. Another way you can look at success is from a socio-economic point of view. Dr. Megan E. Patrick conducts research for the Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan. She conducted an experiment to discover a link between substance abuse among young adults and their future socioeconomic status. In 2012 she was able to conclude that “drug use in young adulthood directly correlates to lower ses (socioeconomic status)” (Patrick). By preventing drug use, people are more likely to attain higher status when they are adults. In other words, drug prevention leads to a higher income in a person’s future. Although money does not necessarily mean happiness, it provides people with the necessary resources to finance an economically stable future. Resources that can also be used to change the world. Random student drug testing would promote this stability by providing students with a drug free childhood. In a society without politics, random student drug testing would have been passed long ago; however, the interpretation of certain policies has hindered the spread of random student drug testing.

The argument against random student drug testing lies in its legality. Those opposed to it argue that random student drug testing violates the privacy granted by the fourth amendment of the United States Constitution. The Supreme Court has upheld drug testing numerous times, both within schools and the workplace. The first ruling regarding drug testing in schools was in 1988 in Schaill vs. Tippecanoe County School Corp. The case examined a program requiring urinalysis of student athletes. The court concluded that rather than  expelling a student who tested positive, the school would suspend the student from participating in sports and extracurricular activities for a certain amount of time (Drug Testing). They concluded that the school was allowed to test athletes because they were responsible to provide positive role models for their classmates. One of the most important ruling was made while reviewing Acton vs. Vernonia School District. The Supreme Court declared that the compromise of a student’s privacy in regards to requiring a drug test was minimal and reasonable among athletes (Drug Testing). This ruling was expanded to all extracurricular activities. Even if only students participating in extracurricular activities were tested, this would represent a large sample of the students. Consequently, the argument that random student drug testing violates the fourth amendment is invalid because the Supreme Court has ruled that the drug tests are minimal and reasonable for students involved in extracurricular activities.

The nation’s future is in school right now, and society must do everything possible to raise a drug-free generation. Random student drug testing would put a halt to these devastating habits and replace them with positive habits. Random student drug testing would promote early detection which is proven to effectively prevent a future filled with drugs. Additionally, it also creates a positive peer pressure in schools which is arguably the most powerful influence in a student’s decision. Finally, the deterrence of substance use generally leads to a more successful future. The Supreme Court has upheld drug testing numerous times and the federal government is getting more involved to promote drug testing. A drug free future is a lofty goal, but the implementation of random student drug testing promotes this ideal. The School District’s mission statement “is to prepare all students for success in a changing world” (Mission). Random student drug testing would combat drug use, preparing students to approach a dynamic world in an informed fashion when it comes to illicit drugs. Members of the community who have a similar view should voice their opinions on this pressing topic at school board meetings. The board meets at the central administration offices by Carson Middle School the fourth Wednesday of every month at 7 PM. If the community comes together in support of random student drug testing, the result would be overwhelmingly positive.