Failing the People of Flint | Teen Ink

Failing the People of Flint

January 23, 2017
By riddhi_khincha BRONZE, San Jose, California
riddhi_khincha BRONZE, San Jose, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A true leader is a mentor, who inspires people, and can take immediate action for unjust situations. Mahatma Gandhi, an inspiration to everyone around the globe, was a leader. Gandhi led India to freedom from the British, who had migrated to India and used violence to take over their land. The British were unjust, cruel, and committed acts of state terror toward the Indian people by committing massacres, like the massacre at Amritsar in Punjab. Rick Snyder, the governor in Michigan, showed a similar disregard for the lives the people of Flint. By moving the city’s water supply from Lake Huron to the polluted Flint River, Rick Snyder created dire health risks for his citizens. Along with his appalling decision to switch the water, Snyder also disregarded all pleas to check the contaminated river for lead. Snyder committed unfair actions toward the impoverished people of Flint. Due to these actions, he should resign his position as governor and be criminally charged. The people of Flint deserve to be treated fairly.


“Families in Flint were forced to drink lead-tainted water while the administration scoffed at their concerns and cries for help. An entire generation of Michiganders now face an uncertain future because of Republican cuts to essential and life-giving services."


Rick Snyder, the governor of Michigan, failed the people of Flint and continues to disrespect them by lying. In July, 2015, Gov. Rick Snyder’s Chief of Staff Dennis Muchmore said, "I'm frustrated by the water issue in Flint… These folks are scared and worried about the health impacts and they are basically getting blown off by us (as a state we're just not sympathizing with their plight).” Even Dennis Muchmore, Snyder’s chief of staff, believed that Michigan should take initiative to solve the water crisis. And yet, after he sent this email, Snyder waited six months to declare a state of emergency. It’s disappointing. We’re all the same. People are supposed to look out for others. But in Michigan, certain people were not getting the help they needed from their elected officials. In early January, Snyder said, “The health and welfare of Flint residents is a top priority and we're committed to a coordinated approach with resources from state agencies to address all aspects of this situation.” However, Snyder waited until the Flint water poisoning turned into a major issue to take action and speak about the crisis. He claims that the citizens’ health in Flint is the most important thing, but six months of silence showed that he had other priorities. Because the people of Flint were poor people of color, their government didn’t worry about the consequences of ignoring them.


Justice for the people of Flint would be served by removing Snyder from his position as governor and sending him to jail. In an open letter to the governor, documentary filmmaker and Flint native, Michael Moore wrote, “By taking away the city's clean drinking water in order to "cut costs," and then switching the city's water supply to Flint River water, you have allowed massively unsafe levels of pollutants and lead into the water that travels into everyone's home. Every Flint resident is trapped by this environmental nightmare which you, Governor, have created.” The Flint residents couldn’t afford to pay for bottled water for all their needs. Because they couldn’t use the water in their own home, they were literally trapped. Rick Snyder deserves to go to jail, because of the criminal actions he committed against the citizens of Flint. Moore went on to point out that, once Snyder chose to use the Flint River, “then you decided to put a chemical in this water to "clean" it -- which only ended up stripping the lead off of Flint's aging water pipes, placing that lead in the water and sending it straight into people's taps.” Moore uses sarcasm to show his readers the horrors of governor Snyder’s decision. Snyder allowed the citizens of Flint to keep drinking the sewage water from the Flint River, while knowing the potential risks. Because of Snyder’s apathy, children are suffering from permanent brain damage; because Snyder risked the lives of children, he should be forced to go to prison.


Citizens expect leaders to protect them from criminal acts. Instead of helping the people of Flint, Governor Rick Snyder allowed Flint’s emergency manager to try to save money by putting the citizens’ health at risk. Governor Rick Snyder failed to provide aid to the residents in Flint, even though their water was contaminated with lead. Snyder should be forced to abdicate his position as governor. The citizens of Flint deserve a genuine leader, not a criminal.


The author's comments:

It is 2017 and the people of Flint still do not have clean water. I recently read Michael Moore’s open letter to Michigan Governor Rick Snyder and was astonished that a governor could deprive his people of water. Although this letter dates back to 2015, this story is not old news. Everyone deserves to have clean water despite their status, and as human beings, we should not rest until the people of Flint are safe.