A Shopaholic Looking for Help | Teen Ink

A Shopaholic Looking for Help

By wtvsally BRONZE, Porto, Other
wtvsally BRONZE, Porto, Other

When you enter a store, do you ever feel like you could buy every single thing they're selling? Are you easily attracted to sales or bargains? Have you ever bought something you ended up not using? Maybe. I consider myself guilty as well. But if you think it is affecting your life, both professionally and socially, if your family and friends are telling you that you need to stop shopping so much, if your room is full of packages, bills and receipts, if you immediately regret buying things... Well, if you're out of control, welcome to the world of compulsive shopping, my friend! It is not exciting and you need to get help.

First of all, if someone is telling you that you have a problem, try to look at yourself in the mirror and reconsider your situation. Look at the signs and, after admitting there ia something wrong (which can be hard at times), the first step is to go see a psychologist. In that way, you can get a proper diagnosis and help to overcome compulsive shopping.

Next, I think the best way to go is to start changing your shopping habits. For example, a good measure would be to ditch the credit cards you probably have and bring a limited amount of cash when you go shopping instead (adding a shopping list to this would also be a good option). Another piece of advice I could give you is to never enter a store on your own. By going shopping with someone next to you, it will be a lot easier to control what you buy.

The last and most important thing I'm going to tell you is to be patient. Mental illnesses can be hard to overcome and obsessive-compulsive shopping is not an exception to the rule. Slowly, you will get better, as long as you are willing to.

Things my English teacher liked: "A Shopaholic Looking For Help"

"Imagine you were asked to write an article for a blod on how to help people who are compulsive shoppers.

This is the title: A Shopaholic Looking For Help

Write an introduction explaining the symptoms and provide some advice."